How To Make PO’BOY
3 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 lbs raw medium shrimp (about 45), peeled, deveined and tail off
Canola or Vegetable oil for frying
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp hot sauce
1. Combine the salt, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper in a mixing bowl, then divide the mixture in half.
2. Season the shrimp with half of the spice mixture
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and the remainder of the spice combination.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk and hot sauce together
5. After dipping the seasoned shrimp in buttermilk, coat them in the flour mixture and shake off any excess. This procedure can be repeated for a thicker covering.
6. Pour the oil into a deep, wide pot to the depth of about 2 inches. Heat the oil to 350° Fahrenheit
7. Fry the shrimp in batches until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes each batch. To drain, place on paper towels.
Build your sandwich by spreading mayonnaise or Remoulade on the French bread, dressing it with lettuce, tomato, and pickles, and then piling on the shrimp.
To Assemble Po'Boy: