1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
3 green plantains
1 ½ cups chicharrón or pork cracklings, plus more for garnish (optional)
Lime wedges and cilantro, for garnish (optional)
1. If using, prepare the guiso as follows: In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until it is simmering.
3. Prep the mofongo while the sauce simmers: Fill a medium saucepan halfway with vegetable oil, then heat on high until it reaches a 3-inch depth.
4. Meanwhile, in a pilón or big mortar and pestle, grind garlic and 1 teaspoon salt until a moist paste forms.
5. In a separate, small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium until just simmering, about 5 minutes.
7. Peel plantains by cutting off both ends, then make three lengthwise slices through the skin.