The article contains a brief overview of Crumble Apple Pie and how to make crumb topping for apple pie. Apple pie consists of a soft crust filled with juicy, spiced apples and a delicious buttery topping of crumble. It will be the perfect dessert for you. I love apple pie, but that crumble topping on apple pie will always win my heart. However each pie is delicious, but what sets this pie apart is that crumble topping. The topping is easy to make and makes your apple pie yummy.
Let's check out how to make the crumb topping for apple pie:
How to Make Crumb Topping For Apple Pie
The crumb topping for apple pie is easy to make and contains few ingredients. It includes:
- Brown/white sugar
- Baking Soda
Make the crumble topping for apple pie by mixing all ingredients with a fork until well blended and crumbly.
How to Make Apple Crumb Pie?
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Rolled Oats
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter, slices
- Combine the oats, flour, dark brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix gently to break up any lumps. Be careful not to crush the oats.
- To create a mealy texture, rub the cold butter into the ingredients with your fingertips.
- Keep the mixture in the refrigerator while you prepare the apple filling.
Apple Pie Filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep the pie shell aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Peel the apples and cut them into 1/2-inch thick slices after removing the skin and seeds. Set aside apple pieces in a medium mixing basin.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, and spices with your hands until well combined. Remove any clumps. Toss in the apples to coat them.
- Fill the pie shell with the spiced apples, including any sugar and liquids gathered in the mixing bowl.
- Top the pie with the crumb topping, leaving a 1/2-inch border uncovered. When the pie is baked, the topping will cover the entire pie.
- Bake for about an hour on the middle rack, or until the juices are bubbling and the crumb topping is lightly browned.
- Softened 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup gold medal ™ general-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup filled brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
The Best Apples for Pie
- The bottom of the best apple pie (or apple crumble) begins with selecting the proper apples. You'll need an apple this is crisp and barely tart however will keep its form even as baking. When baking apple pie, I advise the usage of a Granny Smith apple as I've used in this apple crumb pie recipe.
- Although you surely can use any apple, a few apples have a softer texture or are much less crisp which means your pie ought to grow to be delicate or the apples won't keep their form. Find extra information on apples for baking here.
How Many Apples are Needed for a Pie
This will vary based on the recipe you’re using and the topping, this particular recipe uses a delicious crumb topping so the apples are really piled sky-high.
For this apple crumb pie, you’ll need 8 medium Granny Smith apples which will be approximately 6-7 cups of apples. Always be sure to peel your apples for pie as the skin can become tough and chewy once baked.
How many apples do you need for the cake?
This depends on the recipe and toppings you use. This particular recipe uses delicious breaded toppings to stack apples high in the sky.
This apple crumb cake requires eight medium-sized Granny Smith apples. This will be about 67 cups of Apple. After baking, the skin will harden and can harden, so always peel the apples for the pie.
How Do You Know When a Crumble is Cooked?
It should be baked for about 45 minutes in the preheated oven or as specified in the recipe. The apple layer of the crumble should be bubbling, and the crumble surface should be an even medium golden brown. In case you are using a shallower, larger baking pan, like a 9×9, be sure to watch it closely. It may take 5 to 10 minutes less time for the crumble to be done.
How Long Does Crumble Topping Last in Fridge?
The crumble topping should be stored in an airtight freezer container or a freezer bag that is properly shut. The topping should be utilized within 3 months of freezing for the best results since ice crystals can form in the mixture after that time, making it somewhat less crisp when baked. If the crumble has frozen into firm lumps, you can break them up by placing the mixture in a thick freezer bag. Place the bag on a chopping board, loosely seal it, and tap the lumps with a rolling pin until they break down into smaller pieces.
How To Freeze Crumb Topping?
Crust mix is effortless to freeze, and it takes hardly any effort at all. But, here you have to follow some simple steps to freeze crumb topping:
- Make Mix
Cook or prepare the crumble mix according to your favorite recipe; just don't add any fruit or filling.
- Cool the Mixture
Cool the mix, and then divide it into portions.
- Fill the Portion Into Bags
Place each portion in a freezer bag – one in each bag.
Label each bag with the date and contents.
- Seal and Freeze
Put it in the freezer after you squeeze out any excess air. You can also use these containers instead. Make sure they are airtight and labeled before freezing.
Tips For The Best Pie
- Use an apple that holds up well like Granny smith.
- Pile the apples high, they’ll shrink a bit as they bake.
- If your crumb topping is powdery, it hasn’t been mixed enough. Use your hands to really mix it together until bigger crumbs form.
- If you notice the topping starts to brown too early, place a small square of foil over the middle.
- I use a nice deep-dish pie plate and always set the pie plate on a parchment-lined baking pan to bake. This makes it easier to get in and out of the oven and will catch any drips or spills should your pie bubble over!
Best Pie Tips
- Use a holding apple, like Granny Smith.
- Stack up the apples high will cause them to shrink slightly when baked.
- If the crumb topping is powdery, it is not well mixed. Use your hands to actually mix until you have a large bread crumb.
- If you notice that the toppings are starting to turn brown quickly, place a small square foil in the mid-point.
- I use a nice deep pipe rate and always put the pipe rate in a parchment-lined baking pan and bake it. This makes it easy to put it in and out of the oven and catch drips and spills if the cake overblows.
Did you relish this Apple Pie Crumble Topping Recipe? Be sure to drop a comment below!